Advertisement

US urges Cuba to probe 'health attacks' on diplomats

US urges Cuba to probe 'health attacks' on diplomats
From Al Jazeera - August 11, 2017

The United States is holding Cuba responsible for investigating an apparent sonic attack that left several of its diplomats in need of medical treatment and forced them to leave Havana.

US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said on Friday the US mission in the Cuban capital had not been able to determine who was behind what he called "health attacks" that left some staff with hearing loss.

"We hold the Cuban authorities responsible for finding out who is carrying out these health attacks on not just our diplomats but, as you have seen now, there are other cases with other diplomats involved," he said.

Tillerson added: "We hold the Cubans responsible just as every host country has a responsibility for safety and security of diplomats in their country."

OPINION: Trump and his Cuban promises

His comments came two days after the US said it hadexpelled two Cuban diplomats after a number of American embassy workers were forced to leave Havana because of mysterious medical symptoms first reported last year.

On Thursday, Canada's government said at least one Canadian diplomat in Cuba also had been treated for hearing loss.

The officials told The Associated Press the hearing loss appeared to have been caused by the deliberate use of some sort of sonic device operating outside the range of audible sound.

Cuba's foreign ministry said US officials had alerted it to the "alleged incidents" on February 17.

Rocky relations

Advertisement

Continue reading at Al Jazeera »