Advertisement

Russia's Defense Ministry to investigate wrong photos used on Syria statement

From Reuters - November 14, 2017

MOSCOW/WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Russias Defense Ministry said on Tuesday an employee had attached the wrong photos to a statement accusing the United States of providing de-facto air cover for Islamic State in Syria after the mistake was spotted online.

The ministry said it would investigate the incident, which it said was caused by a civilian employee, but did not say how or why the pictures used were incorrect.

However, the U.S. commands refusal to carry out strikes on the convoys of ISIL terrorists retreating from Albu Kamal on November 9 is an objective fact reflected in the transcripts of the talks and therefore, fully known to the U.S. side, Interfax news agency quoted the ministry as saying on Tuesday.

Earlier on Tuesday, the ministry posted a statement on its Facebook page saying the U.S. air force had tried to hinder Russian strikes on Islamic State militants, accompanied by satellite photographs it said showed a vehicle convoy of Islamic State militants leaving the Syrian town of Albu Kamal on Nov. 9 2017.

Advertisement

Continue reading at Reuters »