Advertisement

Steps to minimize civilian death in Yemen 'ineffective'

Steps to minimize civilian death in Yemen 'ineffective'
From Al Jazeera - January 12, 2018

A UN report on human rights abuses related to foreign intervention in Yemen details the extensive civilian casualties inflicted by the Saudi-led coalition's airstrikes, according to the Washington Post.

The UN experts examined 10 airstrikes in 2017 that killed 157 people, including 85 children, saying that "measures taken by the Saudi Arabia-led coalition in its targeting process to minimise child casualties, if any, remain largely ineffective," according to the Washington Post, which obtained the unreleased report.

The report also criticises Iran for not stopping alleged weapon transfers to Houthi rebels, who stormed the Yemeni capital Sanaa in 2014 and captured large expanses of the country.

In March 2015, a Saudi-led coalition larged a large aerial campaign against the Houthis aimed at restoring the government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi.

Since then, more than 10,000 people have been killed, according to the UN.

A majority of the more than 5,000 civilian deaths were caused by the Saudi-led coalition, of which the United Arab Emirates (UAE) is a member, the UN has previously said.

'Starvation a tool of war'

The coalition, which is maintaining a blockade on Yemen, is using the "threat of starvation as a bargaining tool and an instrument of war", the Washington Post quoted the report as saying.

In November, the UN said that "Yemen will be gripped by famine - one the likes of which the world has not seen in years - if the blockade ... is not lifted".

Advertisement

Continue reading at Al Jazeera »