Advertisement

Yemenis protest after US drone attack kills 7 in Shabwa

Yemenis protest after US drone attack kills 7 in Shabwa
From Al Jazeera - February 5, 2018

Scores of Yemenis have taken to the streets of the southern province of Shabwa after a US drone attack killed at least seven civilians.

The January 28 drone attack decimated a car carrying at least six male members of the same family and another individual as they were searching for a "missing child" in Shabwa's Said district, residents said.

Saleh al-Aishi al-Ateeqi, a relative of one of the victims who organised the protest, told local media that "the victims were all innocent civilians who had nothing to do with any political or religious organisation."

Speaking at a protest in the city of Ateq on Sunday, al-Ateeqi blamed the Arab coalition at war with Yemen for the deaths, saying it was responsible for the country's airspace and protecting civilian lives.

The United States is the only force known to operate armed drones over Yemen and does not normally comment on its operations.

Increase in attacks under Trump

Washington has stepped up its use of drone attacks under President Donald Trump, with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism reporting at least 125 drone attacks last year.

Advertisement

Continue reading at Al Jazeera »