Advertisement

Syria war: Death toll mounts after new raids on Eastern Ghouta

Syria war: Death toll mounts after new raids on Eastern Ghouta
From BBC - February 7, 2018

At least 23 civilians are reported to have been killed in a new wave of Syrian government air strikes on a besieged rebel enclave near Damascus.

Rescuers and a monitoring group said warplanes bombed several towns in the Eastern Ghouta on Wednesday, causing buildings to collapse on residents.

More than 130 people are now said to have died since the government intensified its bombardment on Monday.

The UN has said the situation there is "extreme" and appealed for a ceasefire.

An estimated 400,000 people are trapped in the Eastern Ghouta, which has been under a siege by pro-government forces since 2013.

There are severe shortages of food, fuel and medicines, and more than 600 critically sick and wounded patients urgently need to be evacuated for treatment.

Tuesday was one of the deadliest days in the Eastern Ghouta for months, with government air and artillery strikes on 10 towns across the area. Eighty people, including 21 children, were killed.

The bombardment resumed on Wednesday morning. Ten people were killed in the town of Beit Sawa, according to the Syria Civil Defence, whose rescue workers are known as the White Helmets. Another eight died in Hamouriya and five in Douma.

A young man in Hamouriya told AFP news agency that his brother was among five children killed when a street where they had been collecting water was hit.

Advertisement

Continue reading at BBC »