Advertisement

After Porter scandal, White House leaves clearance changes up to FBI

From Reuters - February 12, 2018

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Grappling with the fallout over a former aide accused of domestic abuse, the White House on Monday said any changes in how security clearance investigations are conducted on President Donald Trumps team would be up to the FBI and intelligence agencies.

Former White House staff secretary Rob Porter, who resigned under pressure on Wednesday, had been operating under a temporary clearance that gave him access to classified information, in the absence of a final security clearance.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation and intelligence agencies had not completed an investigation into Porter, who has been accused of domestic abuse by two ex-wives.

White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders told reporters on Monday the same process has been used for decades to conduct investigations on people who need access to government secrets to do their jobs.

And if changes are thought to be made, that would be made by the law enforcement and intel communities that run that process, not the White House.But thats something that could be looked at, certainly, in light of this, she said.

Normally a security clearance investigation takes up to several months to complete, but Porters had gone on for about a year without a resolution.

The White House has not offered a definitive explanation of when top officials first got word of problems in Porters background.

Advertisement

Continue reading at Reuters »