Advertisement

6 detained amid 'preparation' for attack at Berlin marathon, police say

From CBC - April 8, 2018

Six people were detained in connection with what police and prosecutors allege was a plan to carry out an attack on Berlin's half-marathon Sunday, German authorities said. A police spokesperson later said that no athletes or spectators had been in danger.

"There were isolated indications that those arrested, aged between 18 and 21 years, were participating in the preparation of a crime in connection with this event," prosecutors and police wrote in a joint statement.

Berlin police tweeted that six people were detained in co-operation with the city's prosecutor's office.

The German daily Die Welt first reported that police foiled a plot to attack race spectators and participants with knives.

The main suspect allegedly knew Anis Amri, a Tunisian who killed 12 people and injured dozens more when he drove a truck into a Christmas market in Berlin in December 2016, Die Welt reported.

Police spokesperson Thomas Neuendorf told local broadcaster RBB that the evidence of a viable and imminent attack was not yet confirmed.

"They were very vague indications, but because of the high threat level we immediately started with our police searches and arrests," Neuendorf said.

"But at the moment there are no really concrete indications that an attack on the Berlin half-marathon was foreseen," he said.

Phones, computers confiscated

No danger at any time for the runners, participants and staff- ThomasNeuendorf, police spokesperson

Advertisement

Continue reading at CBC »