Advertisement

Quebec mosque shooting survivor describes life after being shot 7 times

From CTV - April 17, 2018

After he was shot seven times during a deadly mass shooting at a Quebec City mosque in early 2017, Aymen Derbalis wife had to decide whether to take her husband off of life support.

She chose to keep him alive.

Now, more than a year later, Derbali was able to testify at the sentencing hearing for the man responsible for killing six Muslim men and wounding six others during evening prayer at the citys Islamic Cultural Centre.

In March, Alexandre Bissonnette, 28, entered not guilty pleas for the charges but then changed his mind and pleaded guilty to six charges of first-degree murder and six of attempted murder in the shooting at the Islamic Cultural Centre on Jan. 29, 2017.

As he sat in his wheelchair during his victim-impact statement on Monday, Derbali told the court about the bullet still lodged in his spinetoo dangerous for doctors to remove. He spoke about his paralysis and what it was like to lose the use of his legs. He explained how his injuries prevent him from holding his three children and how he still suffers recurring nightmares from that night. He recalled the anguish he felt when he awoke from his coma to learn that six other men had died in the attack.

Despite the difficulty in reliving those moments, Derbali said that he thought it was important for him to be there to share his story at the hearing. The 41-year-old asked the judge to consider the consequences of Bissonnettes actions in his sentence. He also said he doesnt believe Bissonnette was sincere when he expressed remorse for the shooting in a letter he read to the court after he pleaded guilty.

Earlier on Monday, the court heard from a prison social worker who testified that Bissonnette had told her in September 2017 that he wished there had been more victims that night.

Advertisement

Continue reading at CTV »